Etobicoke-Lakeshore Conservative Association
The Etobicoke-Lakeshore Conservative Association is the electoral district association (EDA) of the Conservative Party of Canada (CPC) in the federal electoral district of Etobicoke-Lakeshore. Our primary purpose is to advance the conservative message within Etobicoke-Lakeshore and to prepare for upcoming federal elections.
We are proud to be among the most active and engaged EDAs in Canada. Some of our recent initiatives include the following:
- We host an ongoing series of Political Plug-In events where conservative thought leaders share their insights and perspectives with our members.
- In June 2020 we hosted a virtual leadership forum for our national CPC leadership candidates, focused on urban issues relevant to the GTA. We were the first of only two EDAs across Canada to organize such an event despite the challenges of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- We have a long tradition of constructive participation in CPC policy development. In advance of each bi-annual CPC national policy convention, we sponsor policy meetings and our popular “policy breakfast” sessions to which many EDAs across the GTA send representatives. These grassroots events have been successful in identifying policies we have forwarded to the CPC National Policy Committee.
- At the March 18-20, 2021 National Convention, two of our Etobicoke-Lakeshore policy proposals advanced to the convention (out of only 34 policy proposals from EDAs across the country) and both were successfully approved by over 90% of the voting delegates.
- Like many EDAs, we hold fundraising events to support the election campaign of our candidate, and we hold nomination meetings before each election where our Etobicoke-Lakeshore members select our candidate. Our current candidate to contest the next federal election is our past-President, Indira Bains. See Indira Bains | Etobicoke-Lakeshore (voteindirabains.ca)
- Our board of directors meets monthly (usually the second Tuesday of each month) and our various board committees hold meetings periodically on an as-needed basis. For example, in the lead-up to the March 2021 National Convention, our policy committee met numerous times to develop our policy proposals and participate in the ideas-lab process to prepare for the convention.
We hold an annual general meeting of all of our Etobicoke-Lakeshore members (our most recent AGM was held virtually in September 2020). At each AGM a slate of members is elected to serve on the board. The President is then chosen at the new board’s first meeting. The current President is Geoff Turner, and our current 2020-21 board members are as follows: